CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

76/365

Lucy 76/365

Annie 76/365

Today I am thankful for the zoo and the joy that it brings my girlies. Justin and I decided today would be a good day for the zoo because the weather is so beautiful again. Of course, so did everyone else since all of the kids are on spring break. The place was packed. We even decided to make it extra special for Lucy and we rode the DART train. Again, we weren't the only ones with this idea. On the way down, the train was literally packed - standing room only. Justin was not amused with my choice to ride the train at this point and Lucy passed out in her stroller because there was no way she was getting by a window. But it was worth it on the ride back because we got seats and Lucy loved every second of it. We hit the monorail first thing because I knew it would only get more and more crowded. This was a smart choice. We got to get right on and Lucy always loves this. Annie took a bottle for the first part of the ride and then she also loved it. By the time we got off, the line to ride was SO long. After that, we ate the lunches we packed because I knew Lucy was hungry. Then we just walked around and checked out the animals and got Lucy a popsicle. We finished up with a carousel ride and by the time we got home, both girls immediately passed out for naps. They were worn out! Annie skipped her morning nap, but I don't think she missed it since she slept for 14 hours last night - 12 of them consecutive, then a bottle, and 2 more!!! Awesome, awesome, awesome.

I didn't even get the girls dressed in green for St. Patrick's Day. Justin was the only one who remembered! Oops. It was WAY too much effort to change their clothes, so no green for us.

I have a question for all of you mommas out there. Do you ever feel like all that you do is sometimes overlooked? I really had one of those days today. Maybe I was being extra sensitive and hormonal, or maybe I am not alone feeling this way. After we got home from the zoo, Justin, Lucy, and Annie all took naps. I didn't. I wasn't tired, so that wasn't the issue. But we were having friends over for dinner tonight and there was a ton to be done. If I didn't do it, I guess it wasn't going to get done. While everyone was napping, I managed to go to the bakery and order cupcakes for Annie's birthday, go to the grocery store and get what we needed for dinner, make a homemade lasagna, vacuum and clean the entire kitchen, do two loads of laundry, load, run, empty and reload the dishwasher, and hand wash all of the dishes that had to be. I forgot one thing at the grocery store so I had to wake Justin up to get it. Of course, while he was gone, both babies woke up, both had pooped, and Annie did a huge spit up on the clean kitchen floor. This just kind of did it for me. I had reached my breaking point and now I was just plain irritable. Justin is very appreciative of what I do, but sometimes I feel like he just doesn't get how much work I put into all that I do. I am a huge multi-tasker. I am excellent at knowing what needs to be done when in order to get it all done. I work best when I have a lot to do. And most importantly, I USUALLY don't mind doing most of it. Please don't think that I am implying that Justin doesn't help, because he does. He is an awesome dad. If I ask him to help me with something, he always will. I just had an afternoon of running around like crazy to get all of this stuff done and no one seemed to notice that if I wasn't running around like crazy, none of it would have gotten done. You know? Please, tell me I am not alone here. As a little side note, I put a lot of pressure on myself that is not totally necessary. I keep a really clean house. If we are having people over for dinner, it is really, really clean. I want the girls to have an awesome time, all of the time, so I really try and think of all of the little things that would make a day special for them. My thoughts are, they are only kids once, and part of my job is making that as fun as I possibly can. Even when things don't go perfectly according to plan, if they are having fun, that is really all that matters to me. I am a perfectionist about a lot of things, so I generally just prefer to do it myself. And then I sometimes complain that I have to do it. I know, it can't work this way, but at least I can admit that I do it. Basically, I am just having an off day and I want some reassurance that feeling this way is normal.

Pictures from our trip to the zoo!

Waiting for the train.
3-17-09-1159

Me and my Annie B-nanny.
3-17-09-1160

I love this picture.
3-17-09-1189

3-17-09-1198

3-17-09-1199

Laying on my lap on the monorail.
3-17-09-1205

3-17-09-1207

3-17-09-1224

3-17-09-1229

3-17-09-1226

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poopsie--I already tried to comment, but lost my signal. Great pics. And, you are, of course, the lone ranger! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Loved the zoo pics, especially the ones that had you/Justin in them! Hope your supper went well, it sounded very good! Hugs and kisses to all, Lee Lee

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. Gal. 5:22-23 Remember how blessed you are. Stop sweating the small stuff!

cydnee said...

Cute pictures! I would kill for some of that weather! Oh I totally get what you are saying about all that Moms do..totally get it. You are not alone! Hope you get lots of sleep tonight.

Anonymous said...

AMEN to that sister! You're definitely not alone--and just made me feel better in the process. I relate on so many levels it's scary (love what you do but feel overwhelmed, are a perfectionist and need help but feel like you need to do it all yourself to have it done to your standards...I could go on and on here). In my experience, I have moments of feeling a little overwhelmed and unappreciated and then my baby girl will give me a huge smile or my hubby will offer an unsolicited hug or 'thank you' and all is right again. Hang in there...this too shall pass. And rest assured you have company in your thoughts/feelings...either that or we're the only two crazies out there :)

Karen in VT

Anonymous said...

Wow...you are definitely not alone, girl!!! I can totally relate. Great pics today, as always.

life with the wisners said...

oh sister...the overlooked thing? are you kidding me? i'm not going into it on here. but yes.

tonight, i had a date with big h. a BIG, very fun, very NOT USUAL date. dinner at his favorite restaurant, putt putt, and go karts. like i said, a BIG date.

just because we needed to get out of the house. for the first time in FOUR days.

on our way home, i asked him what the best part of his day was.

"when daddy got home."

mind you, we were in the same room as daddy for about 4.5 minutes before we left for our date.

really? that was the best part of your day?

whew...anyway.

and the zoo? more power to you, friend. but it looks like it rocked. today was beautiful.

have a great week this week getting everything done.

life with the wisners said...

oh, and by the way...when can i meet your mom? because her putting the fruits of the spirit?

melt my heart.

My 3 Sons said...

Ok, so you know you aren't alone out there feeling unappreciated and unnoticed. I thought the same thing today. My boys really don't get how much I do for them to make life easier. They just gripe and complain when they don't get their way right when they want it! Ugh!! HOWEVER, as they get older, those moments are teachable moments. I can explain and reason with them. I want them to grow up appreciating what others do, including each other, so that when they marry, they will know how to appreciate the everyday, mundane, who-else-will-do-it-if-mom-doesn't tasks they come with being grown up and having a family of their own. In the meantime, I will sigh and smile anyway!
Karie

Beth said...

You're definitely not alone. 95% of the time, it's all smooth sailing for me, and all the "stuff" I do is no big deal. Then there's that 5% of the time... Ugh. Are you seriously going to tell me that one dad and two teenagers walked past that scrap piece of paper on the floor and didn't see it or feel the need to pick it up and put it in the trash can? Really? Nobody? Okay, I guess I'll do THAT TOO!! ;)

Tara said...

I could have come here over the weekend and wrote the exact same post about everything I do being totally overlooked. My husband is great with the kids as well but sometimes I just think that he doesn't understand EVERYTHING it takes to keep things nice and running smooth for us all. You are not alone! I also completely understand about striving to make every day special and fun for the kids. I am constantly trying to figure out what I can do to make things more special. You just have to realize that simply being with them a lot of times is all they really want and need. :)

KrisJ said...

Soo not alone... you should read my blog from yesterday I just had had it with being the one to do everything and then have dad always be the hero! We all have those days and I am a lot like you I like a clean house like pleasing everyone though you do a lot more fun stuff with you girlies than I could ever do! I would be exausted! Your great and not alone!

Anonymous said...

I also have a great husband, but as a STHM, I often joke that I am the janitor and he gets to be the circus clown-I think we all know which character my two daughters prefer!
Hang in there-it is all worth it!
Jennifer in Indy

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY know the feeling. joe is an amazing husband and father and does more than i could ever ask. but, it is just different for moms. joe will do almost anything i ask, but he doen't have that constand checklist in his head that is ALWAYS stressing me out. he doesn't have the constand burden of what needs/has to get done and when.

i think your feelings are TOTAL justified and you are def not alone :)

Sharon said...

Sounds like you did SO much all in one day! I'm sure you are a little piece of heaven compared to what I am like when we are having people over...: )

Anonymous said...

THANK-YOU for putting out there what I feel as well. My mother-in-law used to say that you never feel appreciated as a mother... it is just part of the job.

Last week when my husband was sick he got to lay on the couch and not be bothered all day (on a weekend when he is 'supposed' to be helping) because he was 'sick'. He also got lots of full nights of sleep. Now I have gotten his cold, but do I get to rest? no! It is frustrating. I hear ya!

I usually get together with my good friend during this time and we have a good b*@#* fest and all feels better... have a 'girl' day, it will help.

K said...

Nope- not crazy at all. Happens all the time. I love the days when Drew is home alone with Tori and then he gets it, at least a little bit.

The Houser's said...

I know the feeling, my husband and I both work full time.. plus I am the main caregiver for the girls.. We seem to manage everything most of the time, but sometimes it's just very taxing! So like the others have posted I totally know how you feel;) Thanks to Lucy's Lee Lee for finding that verse also!! Oh and the tutu's,, i'm so excited that i've found an easy way to make them, so my 1 1/2 y.o and 3 y.o. will have some really adorable easter wear, not traditional and totally sa-weet:) Have a Happy Wednesday..

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you took some thoughts right out of my head! My Justin is also a great daddy, but has a hard time showing appreciation. I am very much like you in that I would much rather do it myself so the job is done fast and right rather than let someone help. Then I sometimes get annoyed that I never have help. I'm sure it is just as frustrating for my husband as it is for me. At least we know our faults :)
Send some warm weather our way!

Heather M. said...

It's almost easier to keep a clean house when the kids are smaller...now we are running to & fro with school, lessons, extra activities & it's almost harder to find the time. I love a perfectly clean house but it is really impossible with 2 boys, 1 girl, 2 dogs, me & the hubby! I just try to keep the bathrooms really clean since that's where it gets messy the quickest. The kitchen is always a work in progress; I could clean it 24/7 & it would still need attention! I like to decorate and re-arrange...it makes me feel better :) Enjoy them while they're little & you can go & do without a schedule to keep....I miss it!

Heather M.

Anonymous said...

Not alone. I thank God often for the power of other mothers to understand and truly get it and reassure one another! you are a wonderful momma and we are alike in many TYPE A ways so I totally get it. :) Allow yourself to have one of those days knowing that tomorrow will be better. I often wonder how we can do it all and most simp;y -- because we are loved and therefore able to love back. Amazing. Have a good day! OH. LOVE the pic of you and Annie - so great to see YOU on your blog!

Missy said...

Beautiful photos and family! You are blessed beyond measure and have such a talent in your photography. Your pics inspire me to work hard on my own. I don't comment often, but just wanted to say hello and tell you how much I like your blog and your willingness to share your gift with others.

Jenny said...

hhahaha, I read your post with the past few weeks in mind. I never get a break, Conor really appreciates what I do but doesn't realize ALL I do. And some days, like yesterday I was just pushed over the edge.

When MIL was here and I had to make her b-day dinner I didn't think I was going to make it, shopping, cooking, cleaning, dealing with kids, doing laundry, doing this and that. Sometimes you just want a not have to do something for everyone!

Yeah, it is soo normal.

Jen said...

You aren't alone. I think most moms do the majority of the work because no one else notices that it needs to be done. Kids and husbands are fairly content to just veg and let the dust accumulate and then order pizza for dinner :)

It's ok to let it go here and there when you're feeling overwhelmed!

Kate said...

Oh, I hear ya!

My husband is great, and he's a great dad, but of course I often feel like there are a lot of little details that I take care of that (a) feel like they're going unnoticed, and (b) would not happen if I didn't take care of them.

He really is fantastic, contributing his fair share at home and the rest of it, but I sometimes have fantasies where I'm magically gone for 2 weeks for some odd reason -- only then would he realize all the "little" stuff that I'm doing!

Ani said...

love the pics, looks like a great time was had by all.
i totally get your point about all the work Moms do that goes unnoticed. i think we've all been there at one time or another :)
hope today was a bit more relaxed.

Bubba&SistersMom said...

Urgh....I hear ya sister. I,too, am a perfectionist and that can be both a blessing and a curse. I love a clean (really clean) home, well dressed children, a home-cooked meal and a fun filled day. Some days, I accomplish that...some I don't...and crazily enough no one notices but me. One book I love that helps me keep my eyes on the real prize is "Power of a Positive Mom" by Karol Ladd...a wonderful read...also great as a Bible study.

Katia Andrea said...

hey kelly!

It's interesting reading your blog and of course seeing your great pictures. Don't sweat the small stuff. I never REALLY understood everything my mom did for me. It is not until now that I have my own career that I see what it took and how wonderful my mother was at doing the "small stuff". Hope today is a better day!

Katia

dana said...

I SO know what you mean!! I think being a SAHM is a hard job. It's even tougher when you are doing it alone. Brian travels every other week and it's so exhausting running the house solo. By the time he gets back I need to sleep for days! I recently went away for the weekend and I think he *got* how much work it is. Perhaps you need a little break? Perhaps a day at the spa or a little pampering? You definitely deserve it!!

Anonymous said...

I could just copy/paste that post- I've had many days like that. And no, it doesn't mean little man's papa doesn't do anything, he's awesome.

We all have those days, you aren't alone :)

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a day late on this post but seriously I was just talking about this exact thing literally moments before checking your blog! I don't have children, but I have a dog, two kittens and my boyfriend who just broke his shoulder which apparently rendered him totally useless.

I know I'm an overachiever when it comes to things like cleanliness, neatness & DONENESS, but come on! If you see me struggling or running around like a chicken with my head cut off, don't call me a martyr - jump in and help!!!

I also get fustrated when things need to be done and I'm the only one who it seems to occur to, ya know? Hello! Our friends are coming over - can you bring this load of laundry that I sorted, washed, dried & folded upstairs without my having to ask? KTHANKSBYE!

Whew! Thanks for the vent-session! You're so not alone!

arbrashears said...

Oh please don't worry. You are nowhere near alone! I absolutely understand what you are saying. And I have to tell you, with the things you are so kind to share, the pictures that give an inside look into the girls lives, activities, etc. -- you are doing such an amazing job! It is definitely hard sometimes -- (well, maybe a lot of times!)and it may bot seem like much from someone you don't know. Truly though, I stand in awe of you and what you do, the mother you are, the character, strength, hope and love your display. I wish so much I was able to be even some of what you are as a mom! You are right that they are only young once -- but that doesn't negate your feelings in anyway. I think they are absolutely, completely legitimate -- and think it is good for you to express it and get it out instead of thinking about it but holding it in. Honestly, don't think I know too many Moms who don't feel the same at least from time to time. My mother isn't in my life, and I don't have mental pictures in my mind from being young of what a great mom would be or feel like to have. I can read your words and in how well you convey your heart, get a better understanding of what God intends a Mommy to be. Thank you for that! Truly -- you are wonderful. Hope you believe it!
Aimee

(Thank you for writing back to me about the clothes tips/input/brands! Very much appreciate the help! One of these days have a quick photography question for you if you don't mind! :)

Take good care!