CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 25, 2008

Devastating

So yesterday it was all over the news websites about the corruption in Vietnam adoptions. To those of us who follow this all of the time, it was not new news. But then today the awful news that most of us have been waiting to hear from the US Embassy was posted on their website. HERE is the warning that was issued and the confirmation that anyone who does not have a referral by September 1st will not be adopting a child from Vietnam for a while. For those who don't know (family and friends), the agreement between the US and VN expires 09/01/08 and there is clearly going to be a lapse between the old one expiring and a new one being signed. But then, to make things so much worse, THIS was also on the Embassy site documenting all of the corruption that the US govt. has uncovered in VN adoptions. It is sickening and the most horrifying information. Again, most of this is not new, but seeing it all laid out on the US Embassy website is a lot to take in.

I am left feeling uncertain about everything. I pray that Lucy's adoption was every bit as ethical as we have always believed it to be. But at this point, there is absolutely no way to be 100% certain. I am so sad for all of the families that this is affecting. In my opinion, everyone who has adopted from VN or is in the process somewhere is affected. I know that so many of you have been waiting SO LONG to bring home a child. I pray that you get your referrals soon and get that chance. I pray that only children who actually need homes are placed and most importantly, I pray that any child who was wrongfully taken from their birth family is quickly reunited with his or her family. I pray that those of us with children already home can get the information that we need to continue feeling confident about how our child came to us in the first place.

This is really a horrible situation. What a disaster. My heart is so heavy for Vietnam adoptions.

17 comments:

Shawna said...

Me too, it's all just so horrible. I've been thinking of you guys ever since I read this news Kelly.

Jess and Paul said...

Great post, I totally agree with you...this is a disaster. It is terrible that all of this has been going on...and not only do the waiting families suffer...but the children worst of all. I am so disappointed in it all.

Anonymous said...

You and me both girl, you and me both.

Susan said...

I also have a heavy heart about this, and a knot in my stomach the size of Texas.

dwayne and melanie said...

My heart is aching for the children. Where will this leave them. I want my Kaylee so desperately. There has to be a resolution soon. Thank you for your prayers for us. Maybe our referral will come soon.

Leslie & Shaune said...

i am saddened for all of us involved. :( it sucks.

Anonymous said...

I have felt sick to my stomach ever since the statements were issued. Kell, our poor babies. I have no idea what I'm going to tell my boys when they are old enough to read that and understand the implications.

Kate said...

For those of us on this adoption journey, I pray that we find the answers we're looking for, to find peace within ourselves, and comfort for our children. My heart hurts for the children of VN, because they are the ones who suffer the most.

erinlo said...

My heart is so so heavy after reading this. I had no idea how bad it really was. My stomach is in knots. Thanks for posting, although I almost wish I didn't know all this. -Erin

taylorchloejake said...

Geesh. Horrible news. I really hope that our adoption was ethical and that our twins truly were abandoned. Do you know of anyway to further investigate a case once you are home?

Anonymous said...

I'm sick, too, Kelly. Very, very sick. I don't know how to start processing my thoughts or where to start looking for more info. I don't know what to say right now. I agree with everything you wrote. Everyone is in my thoughts, especially the kids.

KrisJ said...

Thanks for posting this I havent been able to bring myself to do it myself mostly because Im not ready for the questions from friends. Its heart breaking that coruption has occured and heart breaking that because of it after Sept 1 the chances of babies growing up in orphanges will rise. I pray for myself and all families waiting to bring home children and I pray for the orphaned children that they will find their families whether that be from the US or Vietnam.

Amber said...

I had no idea how bad it was until I just read it all myself. I am so upset finding all this out...literally tears. This is all so close to our hearts...so very sad.

Thanks for keeping me informed.
Amber

LaLa said...

As you know we have waited 18 months for a referral and now I seriously doubt we will have one by Sept. 1 I don't really know what we will do next : ( Sometimes I wonder if I'd chosen a different agency (still an ethical one) if we'd be home by now with our baby....we will never know I guess.

Kelli said...

It has been an emotionally exhausting weekend. I too am sick. I am praying for everyone who has been affected...

Kate said...

awful.just awful.
i'm thinkin about all these babes right now and all the families waiting for their babies.

Anonymous said...

My precious ones, it is Monday afternoon and I just now am checking the blog. Kelly, I am so sorry for these developments. I have to tell you that I feel in my heart of hearts that our Lucy came to us thru all the proper/ethical channels--she was meant to be your daughter and my dear grandchild. God did His part in bringing this Angel to us, and now we will do our very best to raise her with all the love that is possible! I will continue to pray for Vietnam and all those beautiful children. Please hug and kiss Lucy an extra 500 times for me today. Much love, Mom