CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

World Vision

Many people have been asking about the adoption and where we are now that we are back, so I thought I would catch everyone up a bit. We are literally expecting our referral any day!! We have pretty much been told that it should be in September, and we are almost half way done with September now. I decided a while ago, that I thought that September 14th would be "our day". That is tomorrow. I sure sure sure do hope that I am right. I actually don't think that it will be this week, but we will see. I can always dream! Don't worry, I will definitely post our news when we get it. I PROMISE!!

On a very serious note, today at lunch I saw a commercial for an organization called World Vision. It was a commercial where they show orphans of the world, the very severe conditions that they are living in, and how you can help. We have all seen many of these commercials before, but this one was different. It showed the saddest children I have ever seen. Most of them were literally bones with some skin covering the bones. You can see on the website what I am talking about. This commercial struck something inside of me. I know that there is so much more that I could be doing to help out - even if it is just financially. I am vowing today to start giving monthly to this program. Some day I hope to be able to donate lots and lots to these organizations that help these children. It absolutely kills me that this is happening so prevalently in our world. It is just not right. No one deserves to go through what these abandoned, starving, sick children live through every single day. No one.

I guess another thing that hit me so hard was how often I forget how fortunate I really am. When I think about the enormous amounts of money that we have spent on Lucy's nursery, her clothes, her stroller, etc. it makes me feel guilty after seeing this commercial. So much could have been done with this money. Don't get me wrong, obviously she will need things as well, but we have really gone nuts shopping for her. I know that this is wrong, but part of me feels like we need to "make up" for her time spent in the orphanage. Again, I know this is not right - I have read or am reading all of the books about adoption and they touch on not overindulging. That doesn't make the feeling go away though. I know that we WILL make up for her time spent in her orphanage through our love for her, not through fancy clothes or baby items. It is just easy to go overboard for your first baby.

I am not saying that I am going to stop buying stuff for Lucy, because I know that would be untrue. What I am deciding is that I can do SOMETHING today, right now, to help the suffering children of the world, and I am going to - I have already signed up. Hopefully some day I can do a lot more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sponsor 2 WV kids in Cambodia and 1 Compassion girl in Rwanda. I am really bad about letter-writing but I love getting their letters and just knowing what such a little amount of money can do for them and their families.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Can't wait to hear your news!

Ann said...

First off, Tomorrow I will be checking and hoping with you. Your stomach is going to drop everytime the phone rings. As far as world vision, good for you. We do what we can when we can.

Jena said...

I know what you mean. We too sponsor twin girls thru WV in Vietnam. I actually had a similar post the other day.....

Anonymous said...

I am a sucker for those programs too. I have been sponsoring a girl in India through the Christian's Children Fund for about 6 years now. She was "my girl" when I didn't have one. Now I will really be getting my girl, but we will still sponsor her. I think it is great that you want to do that. We didn't notice any difference when we started sending money. Also, we get really nice letters from her.

That is so exciting that you know your referral will come any day for sure. I am needing to hear some great news from you!

jenn said...

World Vision is a wonderful charity and very responsible with the funds they are given...I can't even count how many people have recommended them!