CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Standing ALL the Time

We have a new problem, Lucy now wants to stand in her bed all of the time. If she is not dead asleep when I lay her down, she immediately flops over and makes her way to the side to stand up. If I leave her in there, she freaks out when she is up and can't get back down. Bed time used to be really easy. Now not so much. Last night this went on for 2 hours!!! It has already been going on for an hour tonight. I will bounce her to sleep but the second she hits the bed her eyes pop open and her legs start kicking. I will leave her for a few minutes until she starts to freak out and the whole thing starts again. Should I leave her bumper pads in or take them out? I don't want her to hit her head while she is learning to get back down, but she uses them to assist her in her mission to stand. She can still get up without them, but they are helpful. How long does it take for babies to learn to get down and not be obsessed with standing??? I am tired. I would love advice from you experienced mommas out there.

Lucy is scared of nothing. She will crawl over anything, stand on anything, and nothing gets in her way. I can't believe how much she has changed in just the last week. She is a real handful. I have some videos, but haven't had the time to get them uploaded yet. Will work on that soon.

10 comments:

Jo said...

You better get a good pair for shoes to keep up with Lucy!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ha - she sounds like Addy! You are screwed :-) seriously we dont' ever lay her down unless she is dead to the world. It is just much faster and plus I really love rocking her to sleep. We still left the bumper pads in becuase she's a restless sleeper - if Lucy isn't restless, why leave them? Different kids learn to get back down at different rates. Some of kids took months, some knew instantly. I hope, for your sake, its soon but if shes like Addy, even when she knows how, she probably won't opt to be down ever. Addy had a full blown tantrum the other day because she could not run! Serious. All the kids were running and she was standing there in the middle of the room and coudln't figure it out and was MAD! Big big trouble, these girls!!!

Jenny said...

OY, my friends kid was that way and finally at nap time she put him in the car and drove. It was the ONLY way he would sleep during the day because of the stand NOW WHAT issue.

I am sure POSITIVE, Mia is going to be the same freaking way. She already wiggled her way over to the TV, turned on the dvd and opened it. And she doesn't technically crawl or anything yet!

Good luck---!

LawMommy said...

No advice, just sending empathetic thoughts. I would take the crib bumpers out, unless, like Nicki says, she is a restless sleeper.

Does she have one of those Fisher Price aquariums (sp?) that have the fish that swim around plays music? That was helpful with Gabriel back in the day...

Gretchen

Sherri said...

We both have wild girls! I think they must have been plotting this before we got there. Grace almost pulled a kitchen chair over on her head yesterday. My reflexes are getting quicker out of necessity.

Heather said...

It's only funny when it's not happening to you!! :) I would pull the bumper pad. I am not even going to use one with the newborn. They are cute, but that is their only purpose. A child can't hit their head hard enough on the rails to hurt themselves. So, if it helps with your problem I would ditch it right away. And, Lucy will learn to get down soon. Just keep showing her how. Good luck and I will be praying for you to have extra energy to keep up with Miss Lucy.

Anonymous said...

Heather is right - it is funny when it's not happening to you! Taylor did the same thing and it almost threw me over the edge but now I look back and laugh. It took her about a week to figure out how to lower herself back down - and I don't know if she figured it out or she just got so tired that she held on to the bars and finally just sunk back down out of exhaustion and then learned from that. I left her bumper pads on because I would find her with her head/face on them, hands still on the bars - just racked out where she ended up. I didn't want her sleeping with her face against the metal bars of her crib. She still likes to sleep against the pads, I guess she feels more cuddled up to have that "pillow" next to her.

Good luck with the standing problem! She'll figure it out soon, she's smart little girl! Hope you get some rest. Can't wait to see the videos and some new pictures (hint hint!)

Susan said...

Hey, please take notes for me so you can let me know what works when I go through this with Lily Ana. :o)

Seriously, I hope Lucy figures it all out soon so you can get some rest.

jenn said...

Try to show her how, but sometimes you just have to let her figure it out. Hopefully it won't take too long!
I've kept the bumper pads in so far as the girls really like to snuggle agains them to sleep. At the first sign of trying to climb, though, out they will come as my oldest managed to use them to climb out of her crib at about 11 months and thankfully wedged between the dresser and the crib instead of hitting the floor.

LaLa said...

I have a daredevil too..all I can say is good luck Ha Ha... what is the status of the milk thing??